I was exposed to Entrepreneurship at a young age. My older brother, sister, and I were home-schooled throughout much of elementary school. My mother worked part-time at our neighbor/family friend's plant nursery. She would bring us along most of the time; One day we started a snack and beverage stand, targeting the landscapers who had been out working in the sun all day. Our mom would take us to Costco and we would buy large packs of chips, candy, Gatorade, sodas, water bottles and other snacks. She would have us take inventory ever day and figure out how much we were selling of each product. She also taught us how to figure out how much profit we were making. Later on, my mom started her own landscaping business. This business was, ultimately, unsuccessful as she was diagnosed with cancer and could not manager the growing business.
I enrolled in ENT 3003 because it sounded interesting and I would love to own my own business one day. I also think the skills learned in this course would make someone a better employee, who can think outside of the box and contribute more than just following orders.
1. That’s a very interesting story. Most of us, as young kids, at some point try to have a lemonade stand or something of that nature. It’s always a phase where we become introduced to the money world and we try to become as independent as possible by making some money for ourselves. For most us, that is our first introduction to entrepreneurship. As for you, it’s great that your mom got involved with you and helped you organize everything, probably reflecting how she ran her own business.
ReplyDeleteIt's really cool that you focused your snack and drink stand on providing for the workers. As someone who has many friends whose parents work in agriculture, I know how much those workers appreciated the drinks and snacks in the hot sun. I think it speaks to your mom's entrepreneurial spirit that she taught you and your siblings basics like inventory and making a profit. It also seems that she has passed it to you since you want to start your own business someday.
ReplyDeleteI love how your mom found an opportunity in a problem, just like what we've been doing in the past assignments. She saw that it was probably an inconvenience for landscapers in the neighborhood to drive for food or drinks during their breaks or lunches, so she brought the food to them.
ReplyDeleteI have a similar experience where my cross country coach and I would sell snacks like muffins, pop tarts, and chips during school and we would get sales everyday because it was a cheaper and tastier option than the school lunches.