Thursday, November 21, 2019

Celebrating Failure

A little background:

I started my BSBA at UCF in 2014 and ended up taking a 2 year ~hiatus~. I returned to UCF in the Summer of 2017, only taking one class to ease back into a routine then 2 classes per semester. I was really unhappy with the program I was in as well as UCF in general so I transferred to UF as an online student. I work a lot- usually 50 hours per week at least. This semester, I decided to test if I could handle 3 classes and also to speed up the process of finishing my degree since I only have a few courses left.

This course is not difficult, but has a lot of assignments and another course I am currently enrolled in has 10-16 assignments due every week. I did not do a great job planning and working ahead this semester. There were a few assignments that I made the conscious decision not to complete because I was exhausted and a few that I missed because I wrote down the wrong due date and was out of town so I was not checking the website as frequently as I normally do.

Although I am passing this course, it definitely would have been an "Easy A" if I had just planned better or pushed through and completed more of the assignments so I would consider that a failure.

I learned that I can handle 3 courses and pass, but if I want an A in the remainder of my courses here at UF, I need to manage my time better in the coming semesters.

Failure is definitely difficult and often embarrassing, but I think it's when we learn the most about ourselves. I don't typically handle failure well. I used to prioritize avoiding failure over anything, including eating, sleeping, and my health, but I have learned that not everything is going to be important in the grand scheme of things. I don't think I will care 20 years from now that I did not get an A in this course, which is something that you could not have convinced me of a few years ago, when I was pulling consecutive all-nighters to ensure my grades did not dip below 98-100%.. I think I live a healthier and happier life now that I've accepted it's okay and expected to not be perfect at everything all the time.

3 comments:

  1. When looking at the grand scheme of things, a simple class that you "failed" to get an A in, is not so bad. When it comes to school, I also prioritize avoiding failure over my health. I would be on a constant study grind where I don't eat or sleep for long periods of time because it would cut into my study time. However, my body has taken a toll because of this mindset. I've actually been sick for a little over a month now and it is stopping me from doing well in my classes because I'm not able to concentrate well from coughing so often. I've learned from my mistakes and I am now prioritizing my health more.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I understand what exactly what you mean by planning ahead and sticking to that plan to get the most out of your grade in this class. I was in the same predicament when it comes to planning out and organizing yourself for this class. I would have had a A as well in this class but do to planning mistakes a I missed a deadline which caused me to get an A-.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Victoria, I liked the way that you described your failure. I think you did a great job turning the negatives into a positive. I also agree that time management is extremely important. I think that if you don’t plan out when you are going to do assignments, you are going to forget about them. Unfortunately, I learned that the hard way.

    ReplyDelete