Corey is my Market Expert. She is a dog trainer, with 10 years of experiences. She works with all breeds of dogs and teaches classes ranging from puppies to senior dogs. She also works in a local pet store, where she often meets most of her potential clients for dog training. The customers she looks for are very similar to my prototypical customer: they want the absolute best for their dogs and are willing to pay to ensure their dogs have the best quality of life at all times. I met Corey when she approached my puppy and I about training classes and we are now attending weekly training classes with her. I could either take the practices I learn from Corey into my own pursuit or potentially extend an offer to work together in the future.
Joey is my Domain Expert. He is actually Corey's husband. He is a professional dog groomer and trainer, working at a dog day-care facility. I was asking Corey about her experience/knowledge with dog day-cares in the area when she mentioned that her husband works at one. He has worked at many similar facilities in the area and has a lot of knowledge about the industry. My business idea reflects what Joey wishes the facilities he has worked at were like. I think he could offer a lot of guidance as to what to avoid or incorporate.
Liz is my supplier. She owns a local dog bakery and grooming service. I met her at a farmer's market and then visited her brick and mortar store a few days later. She sells many different kinds of "gourmet" dog treats and grooming products. I think we could work together by utilizing or selling her products at my doggie day-care or perhaps even a "kickback" service where we offer coupons/gift cards for her store to our clients.
I am used to "networking" quite a bit at work, but this was one of the first times I found myself in this position in my day-to-day life. These connections came very easily because I am so passionate about the topic and because I live a similar lifestyle to my customer-base.
Victoria, I think that you did a great job on the growing your social capital assignment. I think your partnership with Liz could be very successful. If she owns that local dog bakery and grooming service, she must have a massive social network. If you are able to start making connections in her network, I think your business could become very successful, very quickly.
ReplyDeleteThe people you have networked with seem like very valuable sources. Not only do they have knowledge in the dog grooming and training business, but they also have a lot of experience. They could give you further insight on dog care services and this could help you start up and improve your business!
ReplyDeleteVictoria, it seems that you were able to find several people who really know the business of dogs really well. Having experts as such in your network is a big plus when starting off because they can prevent you from making the same mistakes you made. In addition, since your business is oriented around an animal, it is important to understand the behaviors of them which these people can help you with.
ReplyDelete